Friday, December 16, 2011

Avocado Chicken Salad

I love avocado's. I never had them as a kid, my mom grew up in rural Pennsylvania and she grew up poor. Whatever they couldn't grow themselves they really didn't eat so my mom didn't really branch out when it came to food. (My Grandmother would spend one day a week making bread, loaves and loaves of bread. She's my hero!) She cooked comfort food and avocado's just didn't fit.

I went out and bought some avocado's and decided to make this avocado chicken salad for dinner. I do have to say that when my husband came home from work and saw this for dinner he said it looked like diet food. It may look like diet food but it tasted fantastic.
 First I got my fresh cilantro and cut it up. I love the smell of cilantro. Try saying cilantro, it's so much fun. See? Isn't it fun.
 Next I cut up my onion.
 Got out my fresh avocado and scooped out the insides.
Chopped those up. This is where cooking got funny for me. My daughters were sitting around the table like seagulls, waiting for any handouts they could get. I let them have some of the avocado and my twenty month old said, "I like it!"
Makes me happy I'm training my girls to love Mexican food flavors. They will not take after my husband.
 Next I reached for my chicken breast and tried to chunk/shred it. I would have been happier if it had been shredded but whatever.
 Then I put in some miracle whip and some lime juice. Stir and serve, easy!

Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado chopped
1 chicken breast shredded
2 tablespoons miracle whip or mayonaise
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and serve with chips or in a pita pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment