Sunday, April 1, 2012

Beef Chimichangas

I love Mexican food. Growing up with a mother who can't handle any kind of spiciness I didn't get a whole lot. She did take us to Mexican restaurants but that was to get nachos. She was eating a chicken nugget the other day and told me it was too spicy. Just to give you an idea of how spicy our food was as kids.
Did I mention I married a man who doesn't like Mexican food? Every once in a while he suffers through a Mexican restaurant for me. Really, he's the best. I love these beef chimichangas they are so yummy!
I made the filling, sorry I didn't take pictures. I was running late for dinner and had to just throw it all in. Screaming kids at my feet made me hurry.
I put the filling in the middle of a whole wheat tortilla and added some cheese. You could leave the cheese off if your on a tight diet.

Wrapping them can be pretty easy. Fold the short sides together and then roll. Like a burrito or an egg roll. Yeah, hope that made sense.
I pulled out my griddle poured some oil on and fried the chimichangas.
Here's all my chimichanga's in a row.
In all it's cheesy and sour cream glory. It's a pretty easy recipe and quick to make. I usually have some left over which I freeze and give to my husband for lunches.

Ingredients:
1 pound beef
1 small onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced or 1 Tablespoon garlic (I buy the garlic in a jar)
1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
1/4 cup sour cream
1 can green chilies
2 Tablespoons chili powder
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cup beef broth

Brown beef and drain. (I use elk meat so I don't have to drain mine.) Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until thick.

6 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Oil for frying.

Once filling is done put filling in the middle of the flour tortilla topping with cheddar cheese. Pour a little oil on skillet or griddle. Roll tortillas and put on a griddle or skillet, cook until tortillas are golden brown. Top with cheese and sour cream and guacamole if you have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment