Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Breakfast Hot Pockets

I don't like hot pockets, let's just get that out there. Let's also get it out there that this picture is not great.

I have mentioned this before but my husband is usually in a rush most mornings. He doesn't have time to sit down and have breakfast so lately I've been making shakes for him. Sometimes those don't work out because I'm too late waking up and getting them made, or I admit it I'm just to lazy to turn the blender on so I have been making muffins and freezing them and throwing those at him as he walks out the door. I've been making so many muffins lately that I thought it might be time for a change.

I came across these breakfast pockets and knew I had to make them. Not sure why I chose a Monday (my busiest day of the week) to make them. Sometimes I think I'm crazy for doing the things I do but when I realize it was crazy for me to start the project I'm usually half way through it and way to committed to stop.

I first made a basic bread recipe.

Then while it was working it's magic in the bread machine I moved on to the filling. Which I way underestimated. I put some extra olive oil in my pan and added some chopped onions.
Then since my husband avoids vegetables whenever he can I threw in just a little spinach. Enough that hopefully he'll get a little benefit but not so much he tastes it.
I put a few eggs in, turned out I needed a whole lot more.
Some milk.
Mix them together and throw them into the pan.
I let them cook.
Then I added some bacon. Here's my tip on bacon. I cook a whole package at a time in the oven on the roaster pan. Then we eat some for that meal and the rest I freeze. I pull out some whenever and heat it in the microwave. We can then have bacon in a few seconds. Plus I'm not stinking up the house every time I want bacon.
I added some mozzarella cheese but you're welcome to use whatever.
Instead of putting flour down and using the flour to keep the bread from sticking I use oil. That way your bread doesn't get overly floured.
I split them into different sized balls and rolled them out.
Put some filling in.
Roll them up. I rolled them like a tortilla. So pretend you're rolling a burrito and you're good.

Ingredients:
Bread:
1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
4 cups flour

Combine all ingredients, I use my bread maker.

Filling:
15 eggs (wow, I know)
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 pound of bacon or sausage
1 small onion chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 package frozen spinach (optional)
1 cup cheese (whatever kind you prefer)

Pour olive oil in pan and add onion and spinach. Cook until onion is soft. Mix the eggs and milk together and add to the onion and spinach. Add bacon or sausage. Cook until eggs and meat are done. Add cheese to the mixture.

Preheat oven to 325.

Roll out your bread into the size of pockets you want. Put the filling on the bread and fold like a burrito. Place seam down on a sprayed cookie sheet. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until bread is golden brown.

You can freeze these for 3-6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment