Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dark Chocolate Chunk Muffins


These looked so fantastic when I saw them on pinterest. I thought it would be a change up for my husband in the mornings. Typically I make muffins, freeze a few in a bag and when he doesn't have time for his shake I pull a bag out and toss it in his lunch bag. He's usually late so something fast and easy is a must in our house.
This is an interesting recipe because of a few things, it doesn't use flour and you put everything in a food processor. Different. Start with some oats.
Add some unsweetened cocoa.
Then some vanilla
Some unsweetened applesauce. This is my homemade variety, yummy.
 Here it is again because you can't have enough pictures of homemade applesauce.
 Some plain yogurt.
I used honey as a sweetener. It's all I really have in terms of healthy sweeteners.
Some vinegar because I couldn't find my cream of tartar and I wasn't going to search through the ridiculously cluttered spice shelf.
 Some hot water.
The eggs were supposed to come earlier but I forgot them. Thankfully I remembered. If you can't tell I already blended the ingredients before saying "I forgot the eggs!" and then my daughter wanted to know what was wrong.
Just throw the chocolate chips in with the batter in the food processor because who needs to make another dish dirty? Especially when you wash yours by hand.
Here they are all cooked. I know they looked burned. I added peanut chips and white chocolate chips to the top.
Up close and personal. On a side note, I didn't care for that movie. I know they look burned but I couldn't get them to be done in the middle.

The batter was really thin, I think I'll cut down on the water.

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup oats
3 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 1/2 Tablespoon vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hot water (I cut down the amount of water than what I used in mine, you're welcome to add   more if you need to.)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup chocolate chips (you can use white or peanut butter ones as well)

Makes around 24.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Blend everything except the chocolate chips in a blender or food processor until oats are ground and the mixture is smooth. Put half of the chocolate chips in with the batter. Fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full of batter. Bake for eight minutes and add chocolate chips to the top of the muffin. Bake for another 8-10 minutes or until muffins are done. Check with a toothpick, when it comes out clean they're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment