Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pina Colada Upside Down Cake

Pineapple upside down cake is one of my favorite kinds of cake. Unfortunately I don't make it very often because my husband doesn't think fruit should be mixed into cake. He did eat this cake but he took off the pineapple first, which turned out great for me because I got double pineapple! This is a different version of the basic pineapple upside down cake. This one goes tropical!
First take a can of sliced pineapple and put it in a 9x13 pan. I had to cut two of the slices in half so the whole bottom would be covered. Don't throw away the juice (or drink it in my case)!
Take some brown sugar, butter and vanilla and melt them together. You could do this on the stove or the microwave. I chose microwave because I'm lazy and it's faster.
Once they're melted together. Pour it over the pineapple.
Take a yellow cake mix (the one I used had the pudding with it). If you want to go all out and crazy use a cake mix without the pudding and put in a box of banana pudding.
Add some plain yogurt.
Take the remaining juice if you haven't drank it and put it into the cake.
You'll need eggs of course.
This is where I went tropical for this dish. I added some coconut and some coconut flavoring.
Mix the cake ingredients together and put on top of the pineapple.
Bake until it looks like this and then figure out a way to flip it. I couldn't get it. I sat there attempting to turn it when my husband looks over from the couch and says you know it would be a lot easier if you put the bottom plate over the cake and then just flipped it.

Good thing I married a smart man.

It was a lot easier to do it his way.
Here's how it looks done. If you want you can add maraschino cherries, I didn't have any. Here's where I'm too sad for words. 
In all it's glory. This was the first time my daughter has seen this cake before and she thought it was so cool that it was upside down.

Oh the little things that make motherhood worth it.
Here's a close up shot. Makes me want to march into the kitchen and eat yet another piece.
I baked this before dinner which was a bad idea since I ate a piece before dinner and ruined my appetite.

Oh the little things that make adulthood worth it!

Ingredients:
1 20 oz can sliced pineapple
5 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Layer pineapple on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Mix together butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Heat until boiling. Pour over pineapple.

1 yellow cake mix (with pudding or use a pudding of your own, you could do vanilla or go extra tropical and add banana)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup reserved pineapple juice
3 eggs
1/2 cup coconut
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Mix ingredients together and pour over pineapples. Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean.

Flip cake so the pineapple is showing. Serve with whip cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment