Saturday, May 21, 2011

Apple Pancakes



Most whole wheat pancakes are actually half whole wheat and half white flour. This in my mind doesn't constitute a recipe as a whole wheat recipe. I was on the search for a 100% whole wheat recipe when my friend sent me this one. It's fantastic! We've been eating them so long that when we eat regular pancakes they just taste funny. I love the healthiness of these pancakes.

Tips:
1. This recipe makes a lot of pancakes. I typically cut it in half unless I want to throw some in the freezer for later. Makes breakfast faster when I can just pull out some frozen pancakes, heat them up and throw them on my kids plates.
2. I usually don't have buttermilk. I just add one tablespoon vinegar to one cup of milk.
3. I use extra virgin olive oil instead of other oils. It's a healthier oil.
4. If you want to throw in a tablespoon or two of flax seed I've done that too. Add some extra omega's and fiber. I just looked up the benefits of flax seed on WebMd and it says, "it can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes."
5. If you've been eating the all-purpose, enriched, bleached white flour and you're wanting to switch over to whole wheat, don't do it all at once. Add a little wheat into your white until you are full wheat. Start by adding 1/4 and then 1/2 and then whole. If you jump into whole wheat you could regret your decision and end up spending extra time in the bathroom.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together pour onto hot griddle.
I love my griddle, it makes making pancakes so much faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment