Friday, May 20, 2011

Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes

I decided to make these cupcakes because my husband, J loves peanut butter cups. I had a dinner at my church and I signed up to take a dessert so what could be better than peanut butter and chocolate cupcakes? Before I went I asked my Dad if he wanted any but he said that he'd wait until after that there would be some left over. How were we supposed to know they'd all be gone? That almost never happens.
After having the S'more cupcakes under my belt, these ones went much faster. I already had in mind what I wanted them to be so it was just a matter of making them.
I just used a chocolate cake mix again, making it the way the box told me. I used a basic buttercream recipe and added in 1/2 cup peanut butter. I wanted the frosting to be a more mellow peanut butter flavor. Nothing overwhelming. The filling was my own creation. I used one cup peanut butter and then added some powdered sugar and milk. I wanted the filling to be creamy and I wanted the peanut butter flavor to be stronger so I used just a little powdered sugar. I didn't measure the peanut butter or milk. Just eye balled it.
After the cupcakes were cooled I took the steak knife and cut out a cavity in the cupcake. I put about a tablespoon of the peanut butter filling in and then put the top back on. After I filled all the cupcakes I melted chocolate chips and smothered the top of the cupcake. Then I frosted the top of the cupcake with the peanut butter frosting. After I frosted it I chopped up some peanut butter and chocolate chips and put them on top.
I had several people compliment the cupcakes, definitely a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment