Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Brigham Young's Doughnut's

Today is Brigham Young's birthday. I've been trying to celebrate all the LDS Prophet's birthdays this year by finding their favorite food and making it on that day (not an easy task). We talk about what they did when they were alive and discuss their legacy. I'm hoping my children will learn more about the Prophet's and we'll have fun along the way. Turns out that Brigham Young loved doughnuts. He ate them for breakfast frequently. So today's adventure in the kitchen was doughnuts. My daughter thought this was fantastic. This was the first time I've made doughnuts so I had no idea how the dough was supposed to be. They turned out delicious and big! The nutmeg was a fantastic addition to the recipe, just a hint of it.



Brigham Young's Doughnut's
Adapted from Winifred Jardine's Famous Mormon Recipes

5 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter

Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg and sift together. Set aside.

In large bowl Combine buttermilk, eggs, and sugar.

Beat in dry ingredients until well blended. Stir in butter.

Roll or pat dough on floured board about 1/4 inch thick and cut with 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter. Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Drain and sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar.

Here's my tips for this recipe:
1. Again I don't have buttermilk just sitting around so if I don't know in plenty of time that I need some I don't have it on hand. Instead I use 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup of milk.
2. These were very sticky to make. I'm not sure what doughnut dough is supposed to be like so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I had to keep adding flour to get it to a point where I could work with it but I didn't want to add so much that they would be heavy and dry. I think the amount I have listed is a good medium.
3. I put some sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and dipped the doughnuts in after they were done cooking but I'm sure powdered sugar would be good as well. Chocolate would be good too if you want to go all out.
4. I made these extra big. I'm not sure why just found the first round cookie cutter and used it. I didn't roll these out enough and they ended up being super fat. Next time I'll roll them out thinner.

1 comment:

  1. I just found out that June 3rd is National Doughnut day. I made these a little early but you are welcome to make them and celebrate. I also wanted to say that these doughnuts are a little denser than the ones in stores, I attributed this to the fact that the recipe is from the 1800's.

    ReplyDelete