Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cauliflower Spaghetti


First, I know what you're thinking, gross. But you'll never notice the extra vegetables and if your family is anything like mine certain members choose to avoid the vegetables. I'm sure most of you have seen the book, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld, where she hides all sorts of vegetables in the food. Well I scanned through the book but most of the recipes I landed on wasn't something I was going to make. So I took the idea of hiding vegetables into my own hands. This doesn't mean that I don't make vegetables and have members of the family eat them, it just means that when they throw a fit about eating them I don't freak out because in my head I say, "That's fine, don't eat the vegetables, you've already eaten them." Insert evil laugh. Here's how I hide them in my spaghetti. I usually work with cauliflower because, it has a mild flavor and it has an easy color to work with.

First I take my cauliflower, fresh or frozen, and cook it till it's soft.


Then I put it in my food processor or blender. You may need to add a little water. I usually add water to the cauliflower when I cook it and then just dump in my cauliflower and water, that way I'm saving some of the nutrients that cooked out.


I puree it until it's a baby food type consistency. Smooth but not too runny. Once I have done that I just throw it in my sauce and cook it together. It hides well, just lightens the color of the sauce. If this is a problem for you, add a little tomato paste. I made my own spaghetti sauce in the Fall and then freeze it for the rest of the year. You can use whatever spaghetti sauce you want.

To make your spaghetti even healthier use whole wheat noodles. This transition was a little more difficult for us to make but now we eat the whole wheat noodles with no problem.

If you want to make cauliflower puree one day instead of having to make it all the time, just make as much as you want, freeze it in ice cube trays and once it's frozen pop the cauliflower cubes out and throw them in a freezer bag. When you want to add cauliflower to something just get out however much you want and thaw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment