Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day Cupcakes


For Father's Day my husband requested the Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes. I tried in vain to convince him to let me make another one, something we had never tried before but he insisted on the peanut butter ones. Being the softy I am I gave in and made him his favorite, how could I say no on Father's Day?


I started off with a Devil's Food cake mix, made it to the box specifications. When I pulled them out I put them on a wire rack to cool. I just bought a few cupcake books and one of them says to cool the cupcakes on wire racks so they cool evenly. Something I hadn't thought of before.


After the cupcakes were cooled I took a steak knife and hollowed out the middles. I know some people take apple corers and take out a middle but I haven't reached that stage yet. So for now the steak knife works fine.


For the filling I mixed 1 cup of peanut butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and then 1/4 cup milk. I have to admit when I poured the milk in and started to mix it I started to worry. It just didn't seem like it was going to come together. Slowly it started to mix and look much better. The end result looked great but after eating the cupcake I wished I had made the filling a little thinner. The next time I make them I'll increase the milk.


I then took the filling and put it into the cupcakes. This part you might get messy on. I had to use my fingers to get the filling off the spoon, here's where having the filling a little thinner would have been nice. You could use two spoons, one to dish out the filling and the other to scrap it off the first spoon, if you don't want to get messy.


The next stage is to frost! The frosting I used was the basic buttercream frosting with 1 cup of peanut butter mixed in.

I designed the cupcake topper.

No comments:

Post a Comment