Monday, June 6, 2011

Buttercream Frosting

Buttercream frosting is in my opinion a basic frosting, besides the poor man's frosting but we'll visit that type of frosting in another post. You can make a chocolate buttercream or just leave it plain. I use this frosting a lot and I have to say that it has taken me a while to figure out the right consistency.

Ingredients:
1 cup solid white vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon Wilton flavor (vanilla, almond, butter)
2 tablespoons milk or water
1 pound powder sugar (4 cups)
1 tablespoon Wilton meringue powder

Directions:
Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed.

Tips:
1. Even though this recipe says 2 tablespoons milk or water I end up adding a lot more. I usually end up around eight. You need the frosting to stick to the cake. I usually check by seeing if it easily sticks to my finger. It also depends on what you want your buttercream to do. If you're making flowers or just frosting a cake.
2. Tempted to use a regular vanilla? That's probably going to work unless you want the frosting to be white. If you're wanting the frosting to be white you'll have to get the Wilton vanilla since it has no color.

Chocolate Buttercream Icing:
Ingredients:
3/4 cup cocoa powder for baking or 3 1-oz. unsweetened chocolate squares for baking, melted
Aditional 1-2 Tablespoons milk

Directions:
Add the above ingredients to a regular buttercream icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment