Thursday, August 18, 2011

Apricot Streuselkuchen


It was my mom's birthday a week ago and I decided to break out of the cupcake mold and try something a little different. We have two apricot trees and so I have apricots coming out of my . . . well everywhere. I decided on a German streusselkuchen. I have never made anything German that I'm aware of but my brother lived there for a few years and said their desserts were fantastic so I thought why not. I got the recipe from The German Kitchen that deals only with German food.


This is the sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg for the pie filling.


Here are the six cups of apricots and the dry mixture all together.


I got out one of my spring form pans, love these.


I started making the dough by mixing the flour sugar, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt.


I added the eggs and the 14 tablespoons of butter. Yeah, that's a lot of butter. No wonder it tasted so amazing.


Here's where I ran into some trouble. I read the instructions and then I proceeded to forget them. I blame kids. I forgot to save 1/3 for the topping so I threw it all into my pan and proceeded to stretch it out. Then when I was all the way done I remembered the 1/3 and had to take some out. Learn from my mistake and take that extra 1/3 out.


The filling looking fantastic and sassy, can food be sassy? I think so.


I took the extra 1/3 and tore chunks off and dropped it on the filling. Not sure if that's what you're supposed to do but why not. I also folded over the dough.


Here it is all done. Now the dough was great but the filling, unfortunately I didn't add near enough sugar and it ended up sour. How sour you ask, so sour I couldn't eat it. We gave it to my 16 month old and she made that sour face, priceless. My parents were troupers and made it through the whole thing. Next time I'll try peaches.

Ingredients:
Filling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
6 cups apricot
2 tsp. lemon juice

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the apricots and lemon juice together. Toss the dry ingredients with the apricots gently together.

Streuselkuchen:
3 1/3 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
14 tablespoons butter

Mix dry ingredients. Add the eggs and butter, mix together with your hands.

Take 2/3 of dough and spread out on a 9 inch spring form pan going up 1 inch on the sides. Make sure dough has no wholes.

Spoon fruit filling onto dough. leave 1/4-1/2 inch from the top of the dough.

Put the other 1/3 of the dough on top. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment