Saturday, February 25, 2012

Coconut Macaroons

My mom loves coconut macaroons and so do I. Sometimes when we'd go shopping she'd get me and her a treat, I'm the youngest so I was the one who went grocery shopping with her the longest. I had to endure long guilt trips if I tried to tell her I didn't want to go. Sometimes it's just easier to give in. 

Recently, one afternoon I had the sweet tooth hit. I needed something to sooth it. I didn't really want something unhealthy so I opted for some of these. Reminiscing the long grocery shopping trips.
So I started off with, of course, coconut. Guess I don't cook with coconut enough because my girls asked me what it was. I promptly gave them a little bowl and had them eat it raw. They liked it!
 Next a little whole wheat flour.
 A little milk. I loved that there were bubbles that didn't pop.
Some honey. The original recipe called for Agave but I only had honey, we have a honey store a mile away where the honey is fresh and wonderful. We stay stocked up on honey. The girls love to go to the store, they buzz all day after we go. I like supporting a local company and I like having fresh honey.
Some coconut extract which I think the cookies needed more of.
Mix it all up.
 I was a little worried when it got to this point, didn't look like it was going to turn into cookies.
No worries, just put it in the microwave for a few minutes and it thickens.
Once their thick put them on a greased cookie sheet and bake. You're welcome to top them with chocolate or not. I liked the little extra sweetness.

Ingredients:
1 cup coconut
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup plus 2T milk
4 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract

Preheat oven to 360 degrees.

Combine all ingredients. Microwave 3-5 minutes or until firm.

Once dough is firm put on greased cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment