Thursday, February 2, 2012

Copy Cat Lion House Lemon Bars

I love lemon bars, but up until now I had only made them once. For some reason I was under some delusion that they were difficult to make. My mom didn't make them when we were kids so maybe that's why I thought they were hard.
I started off with a stick of butter softened then added some powdered sugar. Creamed them together and then realized I needed two sticks of butter and more powdered sugar. The first batch took me longer than it should have, I blame kids for making me space cadet. Or more of one.
Here it is all creamed together.
Add some flour.
Mix it all up and you have a crust.
Being a lemon bar novice I wasn't sure if you were supposed to put the dough up the pan or not, I just did it. Which ended up being perfect.
I put my eggs in a bowl.
Mixed those lightly.
Then remembered, oh right I needed four eggs not two. Thanks kids.
I did however remember to add the right amount of sugar.
Then I added the thickening flour.
I asked my husband to pick me up some lemon's since he works right next to Wal-Mart. He picked these Dandy's up. That's what they were, Dandy's not lemons. I had never heard of one before but apparently they are lemon's and mandarin oranges mixed. It makes for a sweeter lemon, although it's still not something I would just munch on. They do have the most beautiful color though.
Added some zest.
Here's the dough done.
Once you pull it out of the oven pour the filling in immediately. 
Cook it for a few minutes and it comes out looking like this. Make sure to add some powdered sugar on top. Just looking at these pictures makes me want to bake another batch.
The reason I made these was because we had a Young Women activity where we were introducing the 2012 theme, which is Arise and Shine Forth. I made some lemonade to go along with the lemon bars and called it 'bottled sunshine'.
Yep, going to need to make another batch.

Lemon Bars
(Adapted from: Our Favorite Recipes)
Crust:
1 cup butter or margarine softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons powder sugar
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream together the butter and powder sugar. Add the flour and mix. Press into 9x13 pan going up the side of the pan half way. Bake for 15 minutes.

Filling:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons lemon juice
grated rind of 1 lemon

Beat eggs slightly and add the sugar, flour, juice, and rind. Mix and pour over hot crust immediately after removing from oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powder sugar. Cut into squares and serve.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment