Monday, February 20, 2012

French Toast Muffins

So I had a post a while ago with all the Valentine food we were eating. Well I made some heart shaped french toast but the only problem was I cut the heart shapes out of the middle of the piece of bread, leaving almost a loaf of just crusts left over. Who and how were we going to eat that? I've seen some people make over night french toast and wondered if I would do the same thing with my crusts. That my friend was the birth of french toast muffins.
The recipes for the overnight french toast used whole pieces of Texas toast, I didn't have full pieces so I couldn't make the original recipe. Instead I decided that doing the french toast in muffin pans would work. First I took some butter and melted it then took some brown sugar and added that to the butter. Once they were combined I took a little and poured it into the bottom of each muffin pan. then I tore up my crusts and layered them on half way. After they were all filled half way I put the egg and milk mixture on top. Then I continued to layer them to the top. Shoving down the pieces when I realized I had too much bread and not enough muffin holes. Once they were done to the top I poured the remaining egg and milk mixture on top and sprinkled on some cinnamon. You could do cinnamon and sugar if you wanted but I opted to cut out the extra sugar since I had some on the bottom.
After cooking them here's how they turned out! I made some syrup and enjoyed the goodness.

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
Bread torn to fit 12 muffin holes
4-5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
4 T cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the butter and sugar together. Spoon into greased muffin holes. Fill the holes half way with torn bread. Mix eggs and milk together. Spoon half of the egg and milk mixture on top of bread. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Fill the holes to the top with remaining bread. Spoon the rest of the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment