Saturday, February 4, 2012

Twinkie Valentines

I thought this was such a neat, easy, super fast, idea for Valentines day. For those of you who want to be festive but simply can't find the time this ones for you.
Here's the hardest part of the recipe, cut the Twinkies. I know hard. Use a sharp knife and cut it diagonal. It works best with two twinkies, this isn't a recipe for one. Cut the next twinkie in the opposite direction. This is important if you want the heart to work.

I'm going to admit that I don't buy twinkies, I buy them maybe once every two years. My almost two year old had her first twinkie with this recipe. I say this as I'm stuffing my face with twinkies.
For the topping I used strawberries but you're welcome to use any red berries. I took some water and sugar added some ultra gel. I did blend a little of the strawberries in a food processor just for color. Once your hearts are formed, pour the topping on and be prepared for people to be impressed with what you can do with a simple twinkie.

Ingredients:
(adapted from: Real Mom Kitchen)
2 Twinkies

Cut twinkies diagonally and form heart.

Topping:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon Ultra Gel or cornstarch
16 oz strawberries (frozen or fresh)

Combine water and sugar and heat in microwave until boiling. Let mixture cool and add Ultra Gel. Reserve 1/4 of the strawberries, put them into a food processor or blender until liquid. Add to the sugar water along with the remaining strawberries.

Put on Twinkies.

If you're using cornstarch add this to the sugar before adding it to the water. This way you won't have clumps.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment