Tuesday, July 12, 2011

BBQ Chicken


My kids asked for seconds of this chicken! My kids usually don't eat meat. It's always a struggle to find a meat they'll eat but they both wanted more of it. My toddler squealed for seconds and with each bite I kept saying, "Oh my goodness, oh my goodness" (Man versus Food anyone?)

It's summer and I love grilling. One of the best parts about summer. It also helps that there is less clean up involved with grilling. Big plus for those of us who have to wash dishes by hand.

I was exploring some blogs a friend recommended to me when I came across this recipe on http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/ I love her site! The pictures made it impossible for me to turn this one down.

I grew up on homemade BBQ sauce, I don't remember ever buying it as a kid. My mom was old school. Now that I have a family of my own I have always just bought it. A lot easier to get dinner ready when you just have to open a bottle and pour. This recipe inspired me to make my own.

The Pioneer Woman has done her recipe using the oven but when it's hot outside I try to avoid it, so I opted for the grill. I also adapted her recipe a little.

I love chicken legs but my husband loves chicken breasts, I sacrifice for him. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and switched out the canola oil out for olive oil, just a little healthier. I also didn't have the adobo sauce so I threw in a little cayenne pepper.

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 of a whole onion
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
plus 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
4 Tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup molasses
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper

Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are transulsent, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn them.

Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining ingredients and stir. Allow to simmer.

Preheat grill. Put chicken on grill, cook for about 7 minutes each side. Once chicken is done dip the chicken completely in BBQ sauce, return to grill. Continue grilling for another 3-5 minutes. Brush more BBQ sauce on if desired. (I cut my chicken up and started dipping it in the BBQ sauce.)

No comments:

Post a Comment