Friday, January 27, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Cake


I have a confession to make, I ate this for breakfast. Although I did exercise while it was baking, so I'm good right? Another confession, it was delicious.
I started out by combining my flour and my baking powder and setting it aside. I used whole wheat but you're welcome to use white.
I didn't have fresh blueberries, only frozen so I used what I had. I reserved some flour and coated them with it.
I creamed together the butter, applesauce, lemon juice and sugar. (Lemon juice because I didn't have any lemons do zest.)
 Added my egg and vanilla and mixed.
 Then I alternated between the flour
 and the buttermilk.
Very thick. I was a little concerned by how thick it was. I wanted to add more buttermilk but I wasn't sure if the blueberries would add more liquid to the cake so I held back.
Here's the blueberries ready for their moment.
Mixed them all up and put them in my pan and sprinkled with some sugar. Because we need more sugar on top.
Here it is after it's all done. My kids were complaining of being hungry after the cake came out. Even though they both had a bowl of cereal. Who can resist cake?
A few pieces for my morning breakfast!
In case you needed another shot because I know I did!

Buttermilk Blueberry Cake
(adapted from: Alexandra's Kitchen)
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup applesauce
2 teaspoon lemon zest or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour (white or wheat or a mix)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups blueberries
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 inch square pan.

Combine butter, applesauce, lemon zest, and sugar. Cream them together.

Reserve 1/4 cup of flour to mix in with blueberries, set aside.

Add in egg and vanilla and beat until mixed.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate between flour mixture and buttermilk and add to sugar and egg mixture.

Mix in blueberries and poor into greased pan. Bake for 35 minutes until done. Check with toothpick. May take additional time. (Mine took an extra 5 minutes)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment