Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lemonade Cupcakes

I've actually had root beer cupcakes on my mind but they just intimidate me. Not sure why, just do. I'll man up just letting the thoughts brew. I was looking in my kids closet because that's where I keep my cake mixes (we're tight on room). I saw the lemon cake mix and knew I had to do something with it.
Here's my cake mix with some water.
I added the oil and sour cream but before I could take a picture my daughter decided it was time to mix. Oh well.
I added the eggs and had to take a quick picture before my daughter decided to break them. The pull of eggs is strong but the wrath of mothers is stronger.
Mix up the batter throw it in your muffin pan and cook.
While it's cooking start the filling. This filling is like a lemon meringue filling. Lemon and water plus some cornstarch.
Two eggs. Like two peas in a pod.
Break them if your mother will let you.
Once their broken add some of the water corn starch mix but not enough to cook it. We don't want cooked egg yolk in the middle of the cupcake.
Pour the egg mix back in the lemon juice and water mix and then add some butter and sugar. This batch only made a little so if you want a lot in your cupcakes I suggest doubling it.
Cut your hole in the cupcake once they're cool.
Fill it with your lemon meringue filling.
Make up some butter cream frosting and top them off.

Ingredients:
1 lemon cake mix
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degree.

Combine cake mix, sour cream, water, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix together pour into muffin pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Filling:
4 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 egg yolks
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar

Combine lemon juice and water in a pot over medium heat. Mix in corn starch a little at a time, stirring constantly. Once ingredients are combine beat egg yolks. Pour some of the corn starch mixture into the egg yolks being careful not to cook the eggs. Blend together. Pour eggs back into corn starch mix and blend together. Mix in butter and sugar and remove from heat once butter is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment