Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stuffed Pancakes with Caramel Syrup

I was going through the newspaper as usual last Sunday and came across this pancake recipe from a local store, I knew right then I was going to make them. Stuffed pancakes? That's taking breakfast to a whole different level of yummy. I decided to finish mine off with some homemade caramel syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.
I decided to stuff my pancakes with apple filling. You can use whatever you want. I would have used cherries but those are being saved for President's day, you'll see. I make my own apple pie filling but my husband complained the apples weren't soft enough for him so I threw them into a pot and let them simmer for a while till the apples were very soft. You can just open a can and go at it.

You could even choose to do a cream cheese filling, which sounds fantastic to me. If you try it let me know.
I made the syrup first since it needed to cool before eating it. Started out with a stick of butter hiding there in the bottom. If you were under the impression that this was going to be healthy and help you towards meeting your New Year's resolution you would be wrong, I mean we're cooking with a stick of butter here. Plus a whole lot of brown sugar.
The recipe I use for the syrup calls for corn syrup, I try to steer clear of the stuff so I used some Ultra Gel. My sister gets it for me in Utah at Macy's. I'm actually not sure where you would get it outside of there. The stuff is amazing though so if you come across it, buy it.
I put my butter and brown sugar in the microwave for a few minutes until it boiled, you can also do this on the stove.
 Add some condensed milk and some Ultra Gel to thicken it and you're set.
Then I started on my pancakes, I just made my typical whole wheat apple pancakes. Except I made it thinner by adding less flour. You need a thinner pancake batter for this.
 Once it's set up put some (or a lot) of filling in it and then flip one side over the other.
Put a lid on it. Literally, put a lid on it. It helps insure the pancake doesn't burn before the middle gets cooked. No one wants the middle of the pancake uncooked, although as a kid I did like mine that way. My mom had a tendency to do that, my sister hated it, I kind of liked it. What can I say, I was a weird kid.
 Here it is all done and looking great!
Add some other breakfast foods and you've got a meal. Except you'll probably ignore those other foods and just eat the pancakes.

Caramel Syrup:

Ingredients:
1 cube of butter or 1/2 a cup
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup karo syrup (if desired)
3/4 cup condensed milk
2 tablespoons Ultra Gel (if not using karo syrup)

Combine butter, syrup and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add milk and stir well. Cool before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

Stuffed Pancakes:

Ingredients:
Pancake batter of your choice
Filling of your choice

Pour large pancake onto griddle. Wait until the center is almost cooked, put in 2 tablespoons filling. Flip side over filling. Put lid on pancake until middle is cooked through.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment