Monday, January 9, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

Trying to get back on the health wagon. I found these and decided that it would be nice to have something healthy for my husband to take to work with him. I made a batch and then froze some so he could grab them and go to work when we were running late in the mornings, which is every morning. The originally recipe called for chocolate chips which you're welcome to add but I didn't have any. That's right I didn't have chocolate chips, I'm not sure how that happened but I'm going to make sure that doesn't happen again.

 Start off with some eggs. Look how nice they look just waiting to be pulverized.
 I had some frozen bananas and so I thawed some to use.
 Here they are all mashed up.
Here's the oil, applesauce, waiting to be mixed. I decided to use half the oil and switch in some applesauce which turned out nice. I'm saying this even though I never tried them. (bananas, not a fan)
 Milk and vanilla.
 Everything all mixed in together.
I added all whole wheat. My daughter is a great helped and is always wanting to get in there and cook with me. One of those small things that makes me happy. Hopefully I can pass the cooking bug on to her. You really should mix the dry ingredients separately but hey I wash dishes by hand, I'm not making more work for myself.
 To add some extra healthiness I added wheat germ.
 And flax seed. Why not?
 Mix them all together throw them in the oven and you get some healthy breakfast food.

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (adapted from Keep your diet Real)

2 eggs
3 mashed ripe bananas
5 Tablespoons oil
5 Tablespoons applesauce
1/4 cup milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
1 Tablespoon flax seed (optional)
1 Tablespoon wheat germ (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix the wet ingredients together. Bananas, oil, applesauce, eggs, milk and vanilla. Set aside.

In another bowl mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed, and wheat germ together. Mix into the wet ingredients until blended and add the chocolate chips. Spoon 3/4 full into muffin pans.

Bake for 18-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment