Sunday, January 29, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Recently my mom has been told she has high cholesterol. I've been trying to help her out by finding healthy treats for her. She has a sweet tooth, must be where I got mine, so it has to be hard going off sugar. Admirable really. Although she did slip off the wagon when the hospital gave her an eclair. Really? You're a hospital aren't you supposed to help people be healthy? I guess that's how they get repeat costumers. I came across these and thought might be good. I made some other healthy cookies that were a big flop and since they had bananas in them I didn't even try them. So I was hoping for better results with this recipe.
The recipe is basic really. Allergic to eggs? No problem, doesn't have any. All it has is rolled oats, applesauce, peanut butter (you can use whatever nut butter you want), vanilla, raisins, honey, and cinnamon. Next time I'll try a little flax seed or add a little wheat germ in them just to up the goodness. So throw all the ingredients together.
 Mix them up.
 It needed a close up. Put them on a cookie sheet and bake.
A few minutes later you have cookies! I have to say I was a little worried when I brought one up to my lips to taste it. Then I bit in and hey, they're good. The nice thing about these cookies? When my kids ask for cookies at 8 am I can say, why not. Are my kids the only ones asking for cookies at ridiculous times of the day?

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(Slightly adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons raisins
pinch salt
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 14 minutes.

Makes 10-12 cookies.

This recipe doesn't make a lot of cookies so if you want more double it (or triple it). You can add banana instead of the applesauce and you could add chocolate chips if you wanted.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment